Skip to main content

Tracer - Eliane Boey


 

AUGUST 26, 2022

   It’s quiet up here. Picture an observation deck, over a container terminal at night. Except in this Port, there are no gangs of stevedores, nor cranes. The containers move on their own. At the birth of this technology, it took ten minutes to move a container. Now, you miss it mid-blink. I select the boxes that I need, and type the command. Nothing happens. I had to know it wouldn’t be easy to disappear. 

*

   “How much are we talking?" I typed.

   Then—

   “Keep your bounty, Nemo. We’ll come for you when we need it.” 

   Like a fool, I breathed relief. I needed my earnings, for her. I have yet to figure out how to transmute them without flagging myself in the Port, but knowing they’re there makes me feel safe. The only reason I stayed this long is because I’ve tried to act as I would be treated; which is not only absurd because it’s Old World romance, but because few people wield the kind of power I control.  

*

   Across the floor, the lights are on at the Research and Development team’s pod, where the headset and gloves are, unsecured. I need to be in the Port, for this to work. With the infinite divisibility of digital currency, the smallest value has ceased to exist. When no value is too minor, our world has both shrunk, and expanded. 
   It requires no effort to extract what I need from the Research pod, because no one at the Administration expects terminal transgressions from an officer. I suit up, slip on a facial encryption mask for what it’s worth, and launch the node. Then, I’m in. 

*

   A year ago, I was in the room when the Administration’s Monitors discussed the creation of the Special Anonymity Zone, a test domicile of anonymous social and economic interaction. It was supposed to be a short-term exercise, until I saw new entities populate the space after the designated end of the experiment; with regular payments to minor subscriptions and services. I dug in, and found each linked back to older dark pools. The Regulators were creating entities and wallets for their children, in the Free Zone. 
   I acted as any parent would. I did the same for my daughter. Except, unlike any parent, I am responsible for tracing, and summing, all recorded actions. 

*

   It is bright, in the Port. Seen from above, it was a stream of white lights across darkness. From within, it is dazzling. Each container’s movement leaves a shadow trail of itself, joining the one that follows it. I leap from the middle of one loading stack to the peak of another. Ableness is irrelevant in the Port, when everything moves at the speed of digital transactions. I squat and look over the canyon of light. There’s the stack I need. The homing signal flashes at the corner of my headset, and disrupts my vision. The Research team is back, and is looking for the suit.  

*

   “What is it that you want?” As I typed, I saw the Chief at the door to her pod.

   “What everyone wants. To feel safe.”

   “What will it take, to make you feel safe?” 

I looked up with a smile in my eyes. 

   “The Regulators are so high up my arse they know when I’m about to shit before I do.” Chief flicks a minimised projection at me across my desk. The headline reads ‘Investigations of Hub Blackouts Point Towards the Sailor’. 

   “A few more months of this, and more citizen users will try to go off-grid.”

   “I’ll deliver them to you, Chief, my lead is solid.” 

When she was gone, I checked my projection. 

   “To disappear,” they wrote, four minutes ago. 

   I have a favour to beg of you,” I typed. Under the table, I was shaking a leg.  “Her name is Echo; she already exists in the Zone. Add her to your network.”

   A pause. “Who are you to command, Nemo?”

   “I know who you are, Sailor.” 

*

   The flashing light at the corner of my headpiece is too bright to ignore. My temples reach for each other, crushing everything in between. The suit is forcing me to return it. The Sailor’s stack is right below me. I need to tag the corrupting chip to it. People have been deleting themselves for years, only now the Sailor provides them a continuously encrypting shielded domain, and a community. But even the Sailor cannot delete what the Port already knows. That’s where they need me. Except there is one other thing I need to accomplish first, in case of collateral damage from the explosion. 
   At the higher levels of the stacks, Gold is airborne, and sheltered within protected channels. Here privacy remains a right that can be bought. Guarantee that protection, and you can strip people of everything. I need to extract the returns I amassed as Nemo, from the dark pool I traded in, and tag it to Echo’s wallet. But I’ve been lying to myself. I have time enough to achieve one thing, not both. 

   How can I know it won’t corrupt you, Sailor?”

   “You cannot know, Nemo.”  

   “And my safety?” 

   “Your safety is in the sum of ours.”

*

   I take the leap to where the Sailor needs me. Time, like value, has no limit in the Port. One last look, up at the sparkling transit of Gold. At the sharp white outlines of the stacks; towers of a city populated by the traces and the future of real life. The headset sends another painful shock. I tag the chip to the stack at the highest reach of my arm, and I turn and run. 
   In the nanosecond where nothing happens, I think of Echo. Of myself holding her, crying the second after she was born. Not knowing if I cried for her, or for myself. Then I see it before I feel it. Shockwaves find and rend my body. 
   Fair winds, Sailor. 

 

Written by Eliane Boey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to Hell - Alex Kudera

The years raced by until I found myself standing on a street corner in China. I was in Xi’an, and I was in my wife’s old neighborhood. We lived in her tiny studio—a few narrow rooms, linoleum floors, hot pot and range, no oven or fridge. A plastic seat on the toilet so frangible, I broke it twice by sitting down. Twenty-first century living in yesterday’s mainland. An authentic experience in the world.                But I was out for a stroll. This is what I loved to do—walk and look around. It was hot, but the neighborhood was out and about. A crowd stood alone or congregated on every corner. Laolao and Yeye claimed every spot on rusty metal benches shaded by trees. Many more people walked in the sun. They had umbrellas; I did not.                In ten minutes, I strode around the corner and up the block. The sun’s bright rays seared my retinas. The heat beat against the pavement and splashed up against my cheeks and ears. You could fry an egg on the sidewalk. Throw it on fried ri

The Cement Mixer - Jon Doughboy

 It’s 2002 and 2008 and 2012 and 2023 and the Millennials collectively, the entire generation,  have rented a cement mixer the size of a global recession from Jean Twenge’s cousin who works  in the building trade making a buttload of dough renovating subprime mold-farm homes and  turning them into hot commodities with some fresh sheetrock and gentrification gray paint and a  sheet or two of brightly-colored metal siding for “curb appeal.” On one side of the mixer is emblazoned the word “Time” in Vantablack spray paint. On the other, smeared in feces and blood, is the word “Culture.” The Millennials excitedly crowd around this two-named mixer like it’s churning out unviable yet  charming third-party candidates. And this is no ordinary mixer. It’s state-of-the-art and the art  consists of taking in hopes, fads, fears, archetypes, myths, and generation-defining themes and  mixing them all up into something sturdy for future generations to crawl then walk then sprint  then wobble then coll

The Rage of Impotence: a review of Mark SaFranko’s One False Step – Zsolt Alapi

The British author, Graham Greene, dubbed author Patricia Highsmith “the poet of apprehension” in his introduction to her Selected Stories . Highsmith is a one of Mark SaFranko’s favorite authors, and there are haunting echoes of her sensibility in his latest novel One False Step , appearing for the first time in English (previously published in French translation). SaFranko manages to create a world that is cruel and almost claustrophobic, drawing the reader into an unsettling feeling of dread as the protagonist’s life slowly devolves and spirals toward its inevitable conclusion. One False Step is the story of Clay Bowers, a philanderer, whose wandering eye lands him into trouble when, in an instance of darkly humorous irony, he falls off a roof while ogling the lady of the house, rendering him a paraplegic. As he is recovering in the hospital, he realizes that “The thought that he might not be able to do anything (sic)…that he might only be able to lie there and think for the rest o