Skip to main content

Lucky - Alex Antiuk






The first time I met Lucky he was lying in the middle of the road, holding up traffic and yelling, “My leg! My leg!”

He was wearing scuffed, white sneakers, blue jeans, and a t-shirt with a few holes in it.

Lucky’s face was slightly dirty, young enough that he didn’t have to start shaving yet, his dimples evident on his smooth face. They were in full effect as he grimaced, standing in front of the stopped car.

“Are you ok?” I heard the driver say. I was standing on the sidewalk, watching the driver twitch slightly as he jumped out of his car. I didn’t see exactly when the driver ran into Lucky, I’d turned the moment I heard the driver screech on his breaks and Lucky let out that horrible yelp.

Without responding Lucky rolled on the floor. He looked like a rolling pin, but with shampoo and conditioned, flowing brown hair. He was a particularly pretty man, who looked anywhere from sixteen to forty years old.

“You came out of nowhere!” The driver continued. He began to pace slightly back and forth. He was an older man, with hairy arms and a slightly frazzled haircut. He looked like he reeked of cigarettes and diet soda.

“Please… Call an ambulance… You ran over my leg! Ow-w-w-w-w!” Lucky said back to him.

The man continued to pace. He didn’t even attempt to reach into his pocket and pull out his cell phone.

“Let me help you up. Can we just talk?” The man asked. He looked at Lucky, and Lucky said, “Fine…”

The man placed his greasy hand out and Lucky grabbed it. He lifted Lucky up and Lucky began to hobble. They walked over to the sidewalk where I was standing anxiously with my dog, and I heard the man mumble. He was speaking in an almost whisper, and I noticed Lucky’s face turned from dismay to glee while he whispered something back to the man. The man then followed by pulling out his wallet and handing Lucky a few bills, before the two shook hands and the man got back into his car and drove off.

I was still staring at Lucky when I noticed he wasn’t hobbling in the slightest. He was chuckling as he counted the bills. He licked his index finger and flipped through them. There weren't very many but with each passing bill, his smile grew.

“Are you ok?” I asked, too shaken by it all to just be a complete bystander.

“Of course, why wouldn’t I be?” Lucky said.

“You… You just got hit by a car?”

Lucky smiled. He let out a little laugh, before he placed the bills in his pocket and said, “You are damn right. It’s my second accident of the day!” Lucky was giggling and bouncing up and down in his tennis shoes.

“Second?” I screamed back at him.

“Yep… And I’m gunning for at least three today. I’ve got rent to pay this week and if I don’t make it, my landlord will smack a big notice on my door and change the locks. He’s a real crook.”

Lucky laughed and walked over to pet my dog. He was rubbing its ears and talking to it in a puppy voice.

“What’s his name?” 

“Tony…”

“Tony. It suits him…” Lucky said, before he turned up towards me and said, “And… What’s your name, ma’am? My name’s Lucky and it’s to meet you.”

I looked at him, still in a state of shock and confusion, “Joanna…”

“What a lovely name for a lovely lady with a lovely dog on a lovely day!” Lucky was laughing like a maniac. I was completely overwhelmed by what had happened that when a moment later Lucky flung himself into oncoming traffic, I didn’t say a word.

“Ow-w-w-w-w-w! Call an ambulance!”

Lucky began to roll around on the ground once again and I didn’t know what to do. He had dived dramatically onto the hood of the surprisingly slow-moving car and flopped around like he’d been hit by a rush-hour train.

I just stared in too heavy a state of shock to process it all. Lucky was smiling like a maniac on the concrete.

He was rolling and rolling like a bowling ball. And before I even had the chance to think if I should help him, I saw him stop for a moment and give me a big wink. Before he returned to yelling and moaning when the driver got out of his car.

 

Written by Alex Antiuk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to Hell - Alex Kudera

The years raced by until I found myself standing on a street corner in China. I was in Xi’an, and I was in my wife’s old neighborhood. We lived in her tiny studio—a few narrow rooms, linoleum floors, hot pot and range, no oven or fridge. A plastic seat on the toilet so frangible, I broke it twice by sitting down. Twenty-first century living in yesterday’s mainland. An authentic experience in the world.                But I was out for a stroll. This is what I loved to do—walk and look around. It was hot, but the neighborhood was out and about. A crowd stood alone or congregated on every corner. Laolao and Yeye claimed every spot on rusty metal benches shaded by trees. Many more people walked in the sun. They had umbrellas; I did not.                In ten minutes, I strode around the corner and up the block. The sun’s bright rays seared my retinas. The heat beat against the pavement and splashed up against my cheeks and ears. You could fry an egg on the sidewalk. Throw it on fried ri

The Cement Mixer - Jon Doughboy

 It’s 2002 and 2008 and 2012 and 2023 and the Millennials collectively, the entire generation,  have rented a cement mixer the size of a global recession from Jean Twenge’s cousin who works  in the building trade making a buttload of dough renovating subprime mold-farm homes and  turning them into hot commodities with some fresh sheetrock and gentrification gray paint and a  sheet or two of brightly-colored metal siding for “curb appeal.” On one side of the mixer is emblazoned the word “Time” in Vantablack spray paint. On the other, smeared in feces and blood, is the word “Culture.” The Millennials excitedly crowd around this two-named mixer like it’s churning out unviable yet  charming third-party candidates. And this is no ordinary mixer. It’s state-of-the-art and the art  consists of taking in hopes, fads, fears, archetypes, myths, and generation-defining themes and  mixing them all up into something sturdy for future generations to crawl then walk then sprint  then wobble then coll

The Rage of Impotence: a review of Mark SaFranko’s One False Step – Zsolt Alapi

The British author, Graham Greene, dubbed author Patricia Highsmith “the poet of apprehension” in his introduction to her Selected Stories . Highsmith is a one of Mark SaFranko’s favorite authors, and there are haunting echoes of her sensibility in his latest novel One False Step , appearing for the first time in English (previously published in French translation). SaFranko manages to create a world that is cruel and almost claustrophobic, drawing the reader into an unsettling feeling of dread as the protagonist’s life slowly devolves and spirals toward its inevitable conclusion. One False Step is the story of Clay Bowers, a philanderer, whose wandering eye lands him into trouble when, in an instance of darkly humorous irony, he falls off a roof while ogling the lady of the house, rendering him a paraplegic. As he is recovering in the hospital, he realizes that “The thought that he might not be able to do anything (sic)…that he might only be able to lie there and think for the rest o